Monday, November 14, 2011

Movie Reviews Fashion Documentaries

I am a movie junkie, and especially the ones that are about fashion. I got into documentaries lately and have been watching few of them. I enjoyed "Unzipped" a docu about fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi. The film is from 1995, features all the supermodels of the time. You see young Cindy Crawford, who I adored her back then, Linda Evangelista, Naomi, Turlington, Moss and so on. It's a flashbacks of memorabilia of what I was growing up with and who I looked up to with my dream of being one of them. I have never yet achieved their status, but indeed moving to U.S. was a dream come true for me. Even though I regret not going to N.Y. at 19, I still booked commercials including my Mercedes one and has print jobs in GQ and Wella. I have done runway show at L.A. fashion week and was a back stage and red carpet reporter the following year at L.A. Fashion week 2010. The dream of 4 year old girl sorta came true. I still see a billboard in the future and more hosting jobs to show off my personality. Who said that models must be hangers. I prove them wrong. And school is a part of my life as much as clothing and fashion.

Breaking the mold of dumb models is my drive. I went to Law School, School of Style in Russia and continued various educational routs in U.S. Got my Theatrical diploma and now styling Psychology. What am I going to do with all those diplomas I am not sure yet, but if they be a great wall accessory one day, so be it. But something tells me it is all useful and important. Because no one can argue like I do (Thanks Law School), I have natural sense of style, and I am the biggest entertainer you'll see. It all molded me in who I am. "Picture Me" is a documentary about Sara Ziff a very successful international model, who proves my point. She goes back to School on her own dime and no less that Columbia! She speaks different languages and has been featured on billboard, print, runways and campaigns, making crazy money. She shows different side of the "glam" behind modeling as an industry and every girl who is dreaming about becoming a model should watch it. Please don't think that it won't happen to you, because it will. But it is all about how you get out of those situations. Watch this film. Be over prepared and dream with clear head no matter what age you are!

Another one was "The September Issue". In Fashion September is out January and the beginning of Style year. No one knows it like Anna Wintor The editor at Vogue (Style Bible). She is the most influential woman in the whole Fashion industry. This film allows you to peak at a process that goes into putting together the issue of the year at Vogue. A job that everyone wants has it dramatic moments that last forever. One fire after another, packed schedule and coffee and coffee equals Anna's life. She is labeled the toughest, meanest and bitchiest in the biz. She is fast to turn you down and fast to make you overnight, but you better impress, bring it and nail it from the first glance. It was a treat for me to see the business side of Vogue. A word that gives me chills has a hard exterior but it's a chaos underneath. It was nice to demystify what goes on into such an important issue. The best part is when a camera man makes it into the issue as a model. This film is great!

Those are my picks for the Fashion Films of the Month!


No comments:

Post a Comment